Note: Charter Music is no longer available to new subscribers.
Located on charter.net, Charter Music is a premium online subscription service. Charter Music includes over 4 million songs, streaming music, unlimited free downloads to your PC or compatible MP3 player, and permanent downloads for just 99 cents per track. Charter Music adds new music to its library every Tuesday.
Access your Charter Music library from any computer through charter.net and enjoy easy navigation and organization of music files with our feature-rich Music Player. Specific Charter Music Information is available in the table below.
Minimum System Requirements
To use Charter Music you must have the following MINIMUM hardware and software:
- High-Speed Internet connection with modem
- IBM-compatible personal computer running Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7 Operating System
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher
- At least 128MB RAM
- Intel Pentium III or faster processor
- Optimized for 800 x 600 resolution or higher monitor with 256 or more colors
- Sound card and speakers or headphones
The Installation file has a 31.1 MB download
The Charter Music service relies on an Active X plug-in to stream music via your Internet Explorer browser. Go to charter.net to begin installation. Log in with your head of household (parent) account and click on Charter Music in the Premium Services area to sign-up for the service, download the software and begin installation. You will be guided through the process from there. You also need a Macromedia Flash Plug-In and Windows Media Player 10. Note that Windows Media Player 10 is only available for use with the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. If you have Windows XP, Charter Communications recommends using Windows Media Player 10. Windows Media Player 11 is also compatible with Microsoft Windows XP, but is only available for Microsoft Windows Vista; Windows Media Player 10 is not available for Microsoft Windows Vista.
Minimum Commitment Times
There is no minimum subscription time. Your Subscriptions is on a month-by-month basis. You can cancel your subscription at any time. Please note that upon service cancellation, subscription downloads will only be playable until your individual licenses expire, which will not exceed 30 days after cancellation.
Installing Charter Music
Browse to charter.net. Near the top right of the page, there is a section labeled Login. Enter your full head of household (parent) Charter email username (example: email@example.com) and password and click on Login. If you have forgotten your password, you may login to your My Account to reset your email password or contact us.
- Click on the link labeled Charter Music under "Premium Services" in the main directory on the right of the screen.
To install the Full Player:
- Click the "Download Full Player" button
- You will see a pop up window "File Download – Security Warning" asking if you want to run or save this file. Click Run
- You will see another pop up window with % of CharterMusicSetup.exe displaying estimated time left. Follow the instructions.
- Review and agree to the Terms and Conditions as part of the "Install Wizard".
You may also utilize an online player. There is a link that allows you to utilize the content without having to download the player right below the "Download Full Player" button
Congratulations, you are now on the Charter Music Site’s main page! Charter Music is a subscription music service that provides access to a huge online music library, enabling you to search for and play songs on your PC or compatible MP3 player.
Uninstalling Charter Music
Charter Music can be uninstalled just as you would any other software program: go to the Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs. The wizard will guide you through the process from there.
Features and Benefits
Over 3 million songs-ranging from Pop to Jazz, Rap/Hip Hop to Country and top new artists, Internet radio and playlist along with over 600 music videos
You can listen to a variety of music and videos, no matter what the individual taste.
You can find and enjoy music safely and legally!
Access to the Charter Music library from any PC through charter.net
You can enjoy your music at home, work, at a friend’s house- anywhere with an Internet connection!
Improved Music Player
You will find the Charter Music Player easy to navigate and utilize for storing and organizing music files.
Select Parental Advisory on the My Account Update Settings page and create a password. You will need to re-enter that same password if you ever wish to turn Parental Advisory protection off. To set parental controls for videos, select the maximum rating you wish to be allowed and create a password. You will need to re-enter that same password if you ever wish to allow more mature video content.
You can transfer an unlimited number of songs to your portable device (subscription service enabled MP3 players – not compatible with iPod) at no additional cost.
You can burn to a CD or transfer to another portable device for $.99/song or around $9.99/album.
Adapts to all listening habits.
You can transfer subscription downloads to compatible portable music players. If you wish to transfer a song to a supported portable music player, you can either purchase the song as a permanent download, which you can:
- burn to CDs
- download the song and transfer it to a compatible player.
Permanent and subscription downloads can only be transferred to portable media players that support the Windows Media Audio (WMA) format. Some portable players, including the iPod, do not support WMA.
Music you add as part of your subscription to Charter Music can only be transferred to subscription-compatible devices.
If you are buying a new device, be sure it is subscription-compatible Some of these players will work out of the box, i.e., just plug them in and transfer music immediately. Others may need a free software (firmware) update from the manufacturer of your MP3. Please check your product detail to determine if you need this update to be able to use our portable music service.
All MP3 and WMA music files a customer has on their PC will get loaded into the Charter player if a user elects to search their computer for music files. This is an option they are given when they launch the product.
The Charter Music To-Go service uses the Internet Explorer browser to stream songs to your PC. You will need to use traditional media player software to manage and play songs that are not from the Charter Music service. Charter recommends using Windows Media Player 12, which is the same player you use to play Charter Music songs that you elect to download to your PC.
You may download Windows Media Player 12 at the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player.
Note: The current version Charter Music is not compatible with Mac.. However, we realize the Mac audience is a wide and important one, and we are diligently exploring ways to support this user base in the future.
iPod is a proprietary product that is only compatible with iTunes, therefore it is not compatible with Charter Music at this time.
Zune is a proprietary product that is only compatible with its own services and is not compatible with Charter Music at this time.
Charter Music will work behind most firewalls. If you are having difficulties installing Charter Music or downloading songs, try lowering the security settings of your personal firewall and/or Internet Explorer.
In partnership with Synacor, Inc. and MusicNet, Charter Communications has obtained rights from BMG, EMI, Warner Music Group, Sony, Universal and many other companies to distribute music. These companies own the song catalogs of many popular labels, including Maverick, Atlantic, Elektra, Warner Brothers, Reprise, Arista, RCA, J Records, Virgin, Capitol, Priority, Blue Note, Jive, Columbia, Interscope, DefJam, Dreamworks, Geffen, Mercury, Island, A&M, and others. Charter Music also includes music distributed by hundreds of independent labels, representing all major categories of music.
Cancelling Charter Music
To cancel your subscription to Charter Music please contact us.
back to top »
Once you have subscribed to the service, simply log-in at www.charter.net
Your username and password is the same as your Charter Email username and password. The username is your complete Charter email address, including the domain (for example, username@Charter.net). Your login password is the same as your Charter email password.
If you do not have a Charter.net Email address refer to the Quick Link above "My Account", once you create a My Account you can create a Charter.net email address or you can contact us to establish a Charter.net email address.
Availability outside the USA
Charter Music is only available for use in the United States and its Territories/Possessions, including Puerto Rico.
Access from Multiple PCs/Locations
You may log in to Charter Music and listen to streamed songs and purchase permanent downloads on as many PCs as you chose. You may download subscription downloads on up to three unique PCs. However, please note that you may only access the service from one PC at a time. If you have already used 3 PCs to download subscription downloads, and wish to replace one of the PCs with a 4th PC, you may de-authorize one of your existing PCs from the 'My Account' section in Charter Music. For other customer support issues, please contact us.
Unless you share your login information with others, only you will be able to access your premium online subscriptions. To prevent others from accessing your premium content, please keep your login information confidential
back to top »
Navigating Charter Music
The main areas of Charter Music:
- The Search Area – You can search for songs and artists by using the Search Area. You can search by the name of the artist, the song title, album name or even genre of music.
- Advanced search – To refine your search, click on the Advanced Search button under Tools in the bottom right corner
- All Genres – This allows a quick search of music by genre
- More Music – Displays top albums, top artists and browsing by artists A-Z
- Playlists – Displays music mixes based on themed playlists
- Radio – Streaming radio based on individual artists or themes
- Video – Streaming videos and exclusives
- Media Player – This is the media player that will be used to listen to streamed versions of the songs from the website
While using the Charter Music site there are a few key points to observe:
- After performing a search for a song, you should see a screen that will give song information and download options under INFO. From the Info list, you can choose to do any of the following:
- Listen to a streamed version of the song with the media player
- Download the song via subscription download
- Purchase and download the song
- Whether streamed, purchased or subscription, all Charter Music downloads use Microsoft Windows Media Audio format encoded at 128kbps. There are two types of downloadable songs available on the site; Subscription based and regular paid downloads.
- A "subscription download" can be played online or offline via the Windows Media Player for as long as the subscription is active. However, the computer containing the media files must periodically update the licenses using the Internet. (Licenses must be renewed every 30 days.) Subscription downloads cannot be burned to CD, and cannot currently be transferred to portable devices.
- "Permanent downloads" can be burned to CD for playback through your home, car or portable CD players. They can also be transferred to supported portable music players. Permanent downloads are not included in your subscription service; they must be purchased separately using a credit card. The average price per download is $0.99 per song.
- You can access your individual settings and preferences by clicking on "My Account" link just below the volume setting in the Charter Music browser application.
For additional information on the Charter Music Site including downloading, playing, searching for songs and more, please feel free to review our Frequently Asked Questions section by clicking on the Question Mark icon.
You will be presented with a wealth of information that should be able to answer any questions you may have about this site.
A "subscription download" can be played online or offline via the Windows Media Player for as long as your subscription is active. However, the computer containing the media files must periodically update the licenses by going online to the Internet. (Licenses must be renewed every 30 days.) As long as you are logged into the Charter Music player with valid account and you are past your 30 days the track should automatically acquire another license. You can download any track on the Charter Music service as a subscription download, which is included in the price of your monthly service. Subscription downloads cannot be burned to CD, and they cannot currently be transferred to portable devices.
- Can only be listened to as long as your subscription is active
- Require your license to be reissued periodically via reconnection to the Internet (at least once every 30 days.)
- Cannot be burned to CD
- You cannot make a subscription download permanent.
Permanent downloads can be burned to CD for playback through your home, car, or portable CD players. They can also be transferred to supported portable music players. Permanent downloads are not included in your subscription service; they must be purchased separately.
- can be kept for as long as you like
- can be listened to without requiring you periodically to reconnect to the Internet
- can be burned to CD
- can be copied to supported portable music players
It is best to uninstall the Rhapsody application from your computer before installing Charter Music. There have been some cases of support issues when Rhapsody is installed in addition to the Charter Music player. Rhapsody should be uninstalled using the Add/Remove Software function. Rhapsody uses a different DRM technology for their music service than Charter Music. You must re-download the songs from the Charter Music product.
Sharing My Membership
Your membership may be shared among members of your immediate household; however you may only have one active connection at a time. You will be logged out if a family member or friend logs in somewhere else using your information. Please note that for subscription downloads, you may only access the service from three PCs. For portable downloads, you can only transfer to two MP3 players. If you have already used 3 PCs to download subscription downloads, and wish to replace one of the PCs with a 4th PC, you may de-authorize one of your existing PCs from the 'My Account' section of Charter Music.
back to top »