E-mail :: Print
This article contains common troubleshooting tips for our Remote Controls. These tips are universal to all our remotes. Please select a link below for further information on that topic. If these tips do not resolve your specific issue please click the quick link for remote control user guides to get specific remote control information and assistance based on manufacturer.
LED Light Not Flashing
This usually indicates that your batteries need to be changed. Please replace with two new alkaline batteries.
Problem Programming TV/VCR Combo Remote
Make sure you are using the correct VCR setup codes for your brand. Some combo Remote Controls may require both a TV and VCR code for full operation. Please check your remote control manual for codes.
Red Light Flashing Repeatedly
This indicates that the batteries are low. Please replace with two new alkaline batteries.
Buying/Exchanging A Remote
Charter provides a remote control with each of its Digital Receivers at no additional cost.
Charter will repair/replace the remote if it does not work as a result of normal wear and tear.
You can pick up a remote at your local Sales and Service Centers (please bring your old remote with you to exchange it)
If there is not a convenient Sales and Service Center to you, there may be other delivery options available to you.
Please contact us to have a Trusted Advisor further assist you.
Note: Additional charges may apply
Remote Not Changing Channel/Slow Response
- If the channel is a single digit, you may need to put a zero in front of it for the digital receiver to recognize it. Example: Channel 5 should be entered "05" and not "5".
- Try pressing ENTER on your Remote Control after you press in the numbers.
- Make sure the power light on your receiver is lit.
- Use the front panel buttons of your receiver to try changing the channels to verify proper operation.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the front of the receiver (e.g., furniture).
- Make sure you are operating the Remote Control within about 20 feet of the receiver.
- Check the batteries and replace if low.
- Refer to the Remote Control setup instructions, and make sure you have the correct codes programmed for your equipment.
- Make sure the Charter remote is set to cable by pressing the CBL button. Then try to change channels.
- Since some fluorescent lights and TVs with fluorescent backlights can emit infrared "noise", they may interfere with the infrared communications from a remote to a receiver. Try turning off any fluorescent light sources in the room to see if that makes a difference. If it does, here are some possible remedies:
- Move the receiver so it is not directly centered under the TV.
- Turning the box slightly so the remote hits it from an angle.
- Place a small piece of masking tape over the infrared receiver of the digital receiver. This reduces the amount of infrared signal that reaches the receiver, so may reduce the range of your remote also.
VCR Not Recording When REC Button Pushed
On some remotes, as a safety feature, you must press the Record button twice.
back to top »