E-mail :: Print
Charter is committed to protecting Customer Proprietary Network Information ("CPNI") in accordance with regulatory and statutory requirements, as well as in our customers' best interests. Security Codes are just one way we are committed to protecting your privacy. To learn more about Security Codes and PIN’s choose a topic below.
- Personal Identification Number (PIN)
The Security Code is a randomly generated number provided by Charter that is required to:
- Set up your Online My Account
- Add a PIN to control ordering of Pay-Per-View and Charter On Demand™ Services (enables users to control who can order movies and events).
- Add or change authorized users on your account.
- Add or make changes to your services.
- Used by Charter to verify account holder
Security Code Location
Your Security Code in the upper left hand corner of your statement.
We recommend you change your security code to a four digit code easy for you to remember. You can change your security code through your My Account Online Account Management. Information on setting My Account can be found by following the Quick Links above. If you do not want to create a My Account you can chat online or call Customer Care at 1-888-438-2427 to personalize your 4 digit security code.
If you are an existing customer you may also go to your local Charter Store to obtain this information. Click here to locate the Charter Store nearest you.
Security Code Usage
The Security Code is the preferred method to protect your information over the phone or during a chat session we strongly recommend keeping it in a safe place in order to help guard against unauthorized changes on your account.
If you subscribe to Charter TV, Phone and/or Charter Internet services, you MAY use the Security Code to:
- Control PPV ordering (by phone or through Chat)
- Add authorize users to your account (by phone or through Chat)
- Create/update your online My Account (Member Services) where you may:
- Reset your Username
- Reset your Password
- Personalize your Security Code
- Change your Security Question
- Change your Security Answer
- Add/Change your contact e-mail address
- Discuss with an agent Call Detail
Making Changes Before Receiving Your First Bill
If you have not received your first bill, our Customer Care team may have assisted you with creating a PIN and/or provided you with your security code when you placed an order. If you do not have your PIN or security code, here are your options:
- Chat online or contact us at 1-888-438-2427 to request that your security code be mailed to you.
- Stop by a local Charter Store and provide a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. drivers license, passport or military ID) to make your changes. Click Here for the Charter Store nearest you.
Personal Identification Number (PIN)
Charter uses the term PIN for two different areas:
- Parental Control PIN - Cable converter box feature that limits viewing choices. Click here for more details.
- Account Protection PIN - An enhanced security option for your account that is verified before changes, additions, or account details are discussed. The remaining information discussed in this article refers to the PIN for account protection.
"Personal Identification Number" – the PIN may consist of numbers or a combination of letters and numbers and is established by you after the Security Code is received.
Note: Our Customer Care team may have assisted you with creating a PIN. If you do not have it, here are your options:
- Chat online or contact us at 1-888-438-2427 and provide your security code located on the upper right of your bill.
- Stop by a local office and provide your valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. drivers license, passport or military ID) to set up your PIN. Click here for the office nearest you.
Personal Identification Number (PIN) Usage
An account protection PIN can be added to your account by contacting us. The account protections in an added layer of account identification our advisors may ask for to identify account ownership. The Account Protection PIN is optional where the Security Code is not. The PIN a method to protect your information over the phone or during a chat session.