back to top »
The purpose of this document is to provide instructions for how to initially launch, navigate the internet options and troubleshoot in Internet Explorer 7.0.
back to top »
First Launch Information
Upon first launch, you must choose a default search provider before beginning to surf the web.
back to top »
IE Menu Bar
The IE 7.0 menu bar contains all the same settings and information from previous versions of the browser, however access to settings has been significantly rearranged.
- Streamlined interface: IE 7.0 has a slimmed-down appearance, so that more of your screen space is available for viewing websites.
- Tabbed Browsing: New windows can now be opened in tabs, rather than new browser instances. This function is similar to that in Netscape and Firefox.
- Search Provider Choice: You can select your preferred search provider, rather than defaulting to MSN.
- Additional security: Browser has phishing detection, more warnings against malware, and better popup blocking.
- Tabs: You can use Ctrl+T to open a new tab.
- Mini-tab: Clicking the small tab also launches a new tab for browsing.
- Search bar: Search options in the browser are accessed through the search bar in the upper right.
- Settings: Browser settings have been divided into Page Settings and Tools. Each button accesses the menu for that option.
IE 7.0 Page Settings
IE 7.0 Tools
NoteThe Menu Bar option turns on the old style IE ‘File menu’ structure, for those who are uncomfortable with the new look and feel.
back to top »
Navigating Internet Options in IE 7.0
1. Click on the start button on the bottom left corner of the screen. From here select ‘Internet’ from the top left menu bar.
2. Once the Internet Explorer has opened up, go to the right hand side of the browser. In the top right hand area find the word ‘Tools’. Please select this drop down.
3. When the drop down expands you will see several options for how to modify the activities and views within Internet Explorer. Select ‘Internet Options.’
4. When Internet Options opens, it will start under the ‘General’ tab. Here you can clear recent surfing activities, setting the homepage, changing appearance (not shown here), how tabs work and display, as well as setting up searches.
5. The ‘Security’ tab contains information and settings on what different ‘zones’ (such as the internet, the intranet, and certain sites) will allow to function or access. These sites can be set individually by selecting the icon in the top box and then moving the lower slider up for higher security, and down for lower security. Please note that Charter does not support these settings.
6. The next tab is the ‘Privacy’ tab. This section allows for specific settings for the internet zone, such as restricting cookies, as well as control of the ingrained pop-up blocker. Please note that Charter does not support these settings.
7. The ‘Content’ tab is next on the list. This section controls what personal information people allow the browser to contain and populate for them while visiting sites, as well as the parental controls. Please note that Charter does not support these settings.
8. The ‘Connection’ tab has information about the primary and secondary connection types for internet access. It may become important to check on the ‘Lan Settings.’ Please see "Checking the LAN setting in IE 7.0" below for additional information
9. The ‘Programs’ tab allows you to change the default browser, manage add-ons for the internet explorer, chose programs for HTML editing, and link other programs to the browser. Please note that Charter does not support these settings.
10. ‘Advanced’ tab has options for every aspect of how the browser handles surfing and access as well as program activations. All settings can be reset in this tab by using the ‘Reset’ at the bottom.
back to top »
Troubleshooting in IE 7.0
Troubleshooting internet connectivity in IE includes determining browser version and cipher strength, clearing the internet history, setting up a new homepage, as well as checking the LAN settings.
Determining browser version and cipher strength in IE 7.0
1. To get the normal menu bar to appear in IE 7.0, you can right click on the open space at the top of the browser to bring up a submenu. From this submenu you will want to check ‘Menu Bar’
- Alternative to this method is to tap the Alt key on the keyboard, which will reveal the menu bar.
2. Once the Menu list is showing you will select ‘Help’
3. From the help menu you can select ‘About Internet Explorer’. Once selected it will show a screen revealing the version of the browser as well as the cipher strength it is using.
Clearing the History in IE 7.0
1. Go to the top right hand corner of the Internet Explorer and select the ‘tools’ drop down menu.
2. From the menu select ‘Delete Browsing History’.
3. On this screen you are given the option to delete only certain aspects of surfing history and cache files or delete all. For Charter support parameters we will advise to utilize the ‘Delete All’ button unless you specifically requests otherwise.
- Please note that this will remove all recent web addresses entered into the address bar that have not been added to favorites as well as username and password information not saved. You can read all about it by selecting “About deleting browsing history” to the left of the ‘Delete all’ button.
4. When you select the delete all it will give a pop-up box asking if you wish to clear all add-ons as well. Select this box and the click Yes.
5. Select close at the bottom of this screen.
Changing the Homepage in IE 7.0
1. Once the Internet Explorer has opened up, you will go to the right hand side of the browser. In the top right hand area we will find the word ‘Tools’. Please select this drop down.
2. When the drop down expands you will see several options for how to modify the activities and views within Internet Explorer. You will select ‘Internet Options.’
3. When Internet Options opens, it will start under the ‘General’ tab. Here you can set the homepage.
There are 4 options for setting the homepage
- Click in the open area and type in a new Homepage
- Use Current (sets whatever page is currently displayed to be the homepage)
- Use Default (standard Microsoft webpage, typically MSN)
- Use Blank (sets the page to About: Blank)
4. Once you have set the homepage via one of the means listed above, select Apply and then OK.
Checking the LAN setting in IE 7.0
Sometimes the LAN settings could get changed by other programs, closing off internet access with the browser. In these cases all other programs may connect and function well, only the Internet Explorer itself will remain offline, and cannot surf via IP or URL. If this is the case the procedure below may assist in restoring functionality.
1. Go to the ‘Tools’ menu of the Internet Explorer.
2. Select ‘Internet Options’ from the drop down menu.
3. From the Internet options, select the ‘Connections’ tab.
4. Under the connections tab, select the box called ‘LAN settings’.
5. Please uncheck any boxes that may be marked and select ok.
6. Please select Apply then OK from the bottom of the box.
back to top »