Listed below are basic functionality and troubleshooting self help references. If you do not find the answer you are looking for please contact us.
Adding Attachments In Charter Email
To add attachments in Charter Email:
- From the 'Compose Message' screen select click the Attach button at the top of the window
- Select the file you wish to attach from its location on your computer, then press 'Open'.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add any more attachments.
- Your attachments are ready, and you can send the email as you would normally.
- To remove an attachment click X beside its information.
Note: Currently Charter recommends that pictures be sent as attachments rather than being included in the body of an email message.
Note: The combined size of the email and any attachment(s) cannot exceed 10 MB
Remove Email Advertisements
To remove advertisements from Charter.net and your Charter. net Email:
- Visit www.Charter.net and click on the About Our Ads link at the very bottom of the page
- If you are not logged in to Charter.net click the Login button and enter your credentials
- After logging in check the Off radio button and click the Save button
This removes some of the ads when you are logged in at Charter.net and removes all ads from your charter.net email leaving a white space that is not resizeable at this time.
To change the size of the font in an Email message that you are composing
- Click the New button to begin composing a new Email message
- Click the Font Size drop down box to change the font size of your new Email message
Changing the font size in a message that you have received is not possible at this time.
back to top »
If your Charter Email is running slow or will not load, please check to make sure you are using the latest version of your browser and that your Flash player is current. Charter Email requires Flash 10 to view your email via Charter webmail. To verify which version of Flash you have and download the latest version available simply follow the "Downloads" link above under the Quick Link column. Overall PC performance, including the existence of spyware, malware or viruses on your PC may also negatively impact the performance of your Charter webmail.
Choice of Email Address Not Available
The system prevents you from creating a duplicate e-mail account. Since the Charter.net domain is shared with other Charter Internet Customers, it is possible that the user name you selected may be in use by another customer. When adding a new e-mail account, you will receive an error message if the user name you enter is already in use. You will then need to enter another choice.
Password Doesn’t Display
As a security measure, passwords are never visible on screen. When you type an update in the Password and Confirm Password fields, an asterisk will display for each character entered in the fields.
Charter.net Email Account is Incorrect
The Head of Household is designated as the primary email address for the account. All other email addresses on the account are designated as Child addresses.
Note: The Head of Household can change any email address password on the account, but all other email addresses on the account can only change the password for their individual account.
You can access your email by simply clicking on the green Email component located at the top right-hand corner on the www.charter.net home page.
Forgot / Change Password
You can change your email address password either from My Account, or from the Online Tools Tab section within Charter Email.
To change your email address password from within Charter Email, please follow the steps below:
- On the Email Address tab, click the ‘CHANGE’ link found under Password.
- Type in your new password, then re-type your password in the "Confirm Password" box.
- Click Save.
Online Tools Functionality In My Account
From the Email Address tab in both My Account and Charter.net, you are able to do several things to your email addresses:
- Create a new email address (up to 10)
- Delete an existing email address
- Assign Head of Household status to an email address (only the Head of Household can reassign it)
- Change an email password for the address currently logged in.
Note: the Head of Household is able to change the password on any email address on the account. All other email addresses are only able to change their own password.
Logging Into Charter.net
- Check to make sure your CAPS lock is not on and your Num Lock is on
- Retry your login and password again
Sign in using your charter.net email address and password. We ask that you provide your service address zip code as well as an additional security measure. You will be logged out of your email session after 24 hours even if you click "Remember me" to protect your email content.
If you are not currently logged into Charter.net, you will be prompted to provide you Username and Password.
The username is your complete Charter email address including the domain (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your portal login password is the Charter email password.
If you forgot your Charter Email Username (your Charter Email address), you can find it by logging into My Account and clicking on the Online Tools link. This displays all active Email addresses on your Charter Internet account.
Can't Add Multiple Preferred Email Contacts
Only one preferred e-mail account is allowed per Charter account.
Username / Password Requirements
An e-mail account user name may contain:
- 6 to 40 characters (no spaces)
- a combination of all alphabetic and numeric characters
- special characters: period (.), hyphen (-) and underscore (_)
Note: Uppercase alphabetic characters will default to lower case (they are not case sensitive)
- must be between 8 and 20 characters
- may not include backslashes (\) or double quotes (")
- are case sensitive
- will never display on the page (for security purposes)
Can't Check Email from My Account
You cannot view, read or send email from your online "My Account" at this time. You can manage your email addresses only at this time through the Online Tools Tab in your online My Account
Can't Set up Additional Email Addresses
Each Charter Internet package comes with up to 10 e-mail accounts. The Account Holder or Authorized User can check the number of available accounts on the My Account page on the Online Tools page under Manage My Email Accounts. The total number of available e-mail accounts displays on that page.
Can’t Receive Email
Check to see if your email box exceeds 90% of usage.
You can check this by logging into your email and click the Online Tools tab.
Or logging into your My Account and clicking on Online Tools to verify usage
If you are over 90% you will need to delete some of your messages to make room for new items.
If your usage is not at 90% check your parental controls and ensure the sender is not blocked and or blocked email is not being forwarded to the head of household email address. Storage limits cannot be increased or decreased for individual Charter.net domain mailboxes
You can check this by logging into your email and click the Online Tools then on Parental Controls then Email
Or logging into your My Account and clicking on Online Tools tab then on Parental Controls.
If you are still having trouble receiving Emails please contact us
Can’t Send Email
Follow these steps if you are using Charter.net Email and not an Email client (Outlook, Apple Mail, etc…)
If you have spellcheck enabled, you will need to press Done for the email to send.
Create an email and save a copy before sending it. To save a copy click on preferences and then click on Save Outgoing Messages or check the Save In Sent folder box at the bottom of an Email you are composing.
Check your sent file to determine and verify the message was sent
If you are still having trouble sending Emails please contact us
Email Locked Message
Charter.net enforces a lockout feature if you fail to login correctly five times. After the fifth failed login attempt the email account is locked for 10-20 minutes. If you are still unable to login you will need to contact us
We are working to resolve a sporadic, intermittent issue with our Charter.net Email. Sometimes the backspace key will not function properly.
You can work around the backspace key issue by:
- Highlighting the desired text using your mouse and pressing the Delete button to delete the text all at once.
- Placing the cursor before the desired text and pressing the Delete button to delete the text character by character.
We apologize for any inconvenience when composing email messages.
back to top »