E-mail :: Print
Effective September 6, Charter will no longer sell TiVo Premiere from Charter service to customers. We are currently evaluating the integration of TiVo software and other software into our next-generation video delivery platform. Customers that own Retail TiVo equipment are not impacted with this change. Click here for information about Charter TV packages.
Now you can do just about everything you can do with your TiVo remote control—find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more—from your iPad! Just download the TiVo App to your iPad, and you're ready to get started.
Before you begin
Before you can use the TiVo App, you'll need to do the following:
- Download the TiVo App from the App Store on iTunes. It's free!
- If you have a compatible TiVo DVR, make sure it's connected to your home network.
- On your TiVo DVR, allow the iPad to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting. From TiVo Central, select Settings & Messages > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control.
If you don't have a compatible TiVo DVR, no problem! You can sign in to the TiVo App as a "Guest."
Activating your TiVo App
There are three ways to activate your TiVo app:
- When you're at home and want to use all of the features of the TiVo app, you'll sign in using a special number that identifies your TiVo DVR, called a Media Access Key (MAK). When you sign in with your MAK, you can control live TV, watch recordings from your My Shows list, record shows in real-time, get details about the shows currently airing on live TV, and more. You'll only need to enter your MAK once, and then the TiVo app will remember it whenever you launch the app.
- When you're away from home but want remote access to your TiVo DVR, you'll sign in with your TiVo.com username and password. In "Remote" mode, you can search for shows by title or actor/director name, browse the guide, browse by category, set up recordings, as well as make changes to My Shows, the To Do List and the Season Pass Manager.
- If you don't have a compatible TiVo DVR, you can take take the TiVo App for iPhone for a test drive anyway! Just sign in as a "Guest." In "Guest" mode, you can search for shows by title or actor/director name, browse the guide, or browse by category.
Signing in with your Media Access Key
When you first launch the TiVo app, the app will search your network for TiVo DVRs. Once it finds your TiVo DVR, sign in as follows:
- If you have more than one TiVo DVR on your network, select the TiVo DVR you want to connect to from the list.
- On your TiVo DVR, find your MAK: go to Settings & Messages > Account & System Information > Media Access Key.
- On your iPad, tap the Media Access Key window to bring up the keyboard, and enter your MAK. Then tap "Done" on the keyboard.
Signing in with your user name and password
You can sign in with your TiVo.com user name and password when you're away from home, or if you are unable to sign in with your MAK. Here's how:
- Tap "Sign in to TiVo.com."
- Tap the "Email" window to bring up the keyboard, and enter your TiVo.com user name. Then, tap the "Password" window and to enter your password. Then tap "Sign in."
Signing in as a guest
You can use the TiVo app even if you don't own a compatible TiVo DVR. To sign in as a guest:
- Tap "Continue as a Guest."
- On the "Guest Experience" screen, read more about Guest Mode. Then tap "Continue."
- Tap the Zip Code window to bring up the keyboard, and enter your zip code. Then tap "Next" on the keyboard
- Tap on the name of your cable provider.
- Tap the "Email" window to enter your email address. Choose whether or not receive TiVo news and offers, then tap "Continue."
Finding and exploring shows
You can find and explore shows with a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- Tap the Search TiVo window at the top of the screen, and enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in. A list of matches will appear beneath the search window.
- Tap the best match to get more information about it, watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), set up a recording and more.
- If a show is not currently available to record, you'll have the option to tap "WishList" to set up a TiVo WishList® search. The WishList search will automatically record the show the next time it appears on TV.
- To browse the program guide, tap the Guide button at the bottom of the screen. Scroll the guide columns up or down to view more listings.
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it in the top half of the screen. From there, you can choose to watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record it (if it's airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter.
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date to bring up the date selector.
- Tap the Browse button to browse collections of related content (like award winners), or to browse by category (like TV, movies, or sports).
- Tap the Info button to display information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo DVR. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching. From this screen, you can learn more about the show, its cast and its crew; record the show; view upcoming episodes; or share your comments about the show with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
Note: The Info button is not available in "Remote" or "Guest" modes.
Using the My Shows list
You can see your TiVo DVR's My Shows list on the TiVo App. Just click the "My Shows" button at the bottom of the screen.
Tap a show to view information about it on the top half of the screen. From that screen, you can watch the show on your TV by tapping the image in the top part of the screen (or tapping "Watch now"), explore the show, get or modify a Season Pass recording, delete the show from the My Shows list, set a show to "Keep Until I Delete", view upcoming episodes, or share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter.
Note: You can sort the date by date or by show title. Just tap "Date" to sort by date, or tap "A-Z" to sort by title.
Note: You cannot access your My Shows list in "Guest" mode.
Using the remote control
You can use the TiVo App's remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, or to navigate around your TiVo DVR's menus. Here's how:
- Tap the remote control icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap "Buttons" to show remote control buttons. Use the buttons on the right of the screen to control your video. You can fast-forward, rewind, pause, slow motion, advance, instant replay, record, or give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down ratings. Use the buttons on the left side of the screen to navigate around TiVo menus.
- Tap "Gestures" to show the gesture pad areas. In these areas, you can use touch-screen gestures, similar to the gestures used on other smartphones and mobile devices, to control your video. Tap the "I" to display the gestures.
- Tap the remote icon again to hide the remote.
Note: The remote control is not available in "Remote" or "Guest" modes.
Managing your shows
You can use the TiVo app to manage your TiVo DVR's To Do List and your Season Pass Requests.
- Tap "Manage" at the bottom of the screen, then tap "To Do List." Tap a show title to get information about it in the top half of the screen. From there, you can cancel the recording, get or modify a Season Pass request, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, change recording options and more.
- Tap "Season Pass Manager." Tap a show title to get information about it in the top half of the screen. In the bottom half of the screen, tap "Reorder" to change the priority of the Season Pass request.
Note: You cannot manage your shows in "Guest" mode.
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
As you explore shows in the TiVo App, you can easily publish your comments about them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Choose a show from your My Shows list, the guide, or any browsing screen.
- In the top part of the screen, tap "Share," then tap either "Share on Facebook" or "Share on Twitter."
- If prompted, log in to your Facebook or Twitter account.
- Enter your post or tweet, and tap "Publish."
Changing your selected DVR
To connect to a different compatible TiVo DVR in your network, tap the name of the currently-connected DVR at the top left of screen. Use the scroll wheel to select another DVR.
Changing settings & signing out
To change settings or sign out, click the gear icon at the top of the screen. You'll see the following options:
- TiVo account: Displays whether you are signed in with your MAK, your tivo.com user name, or as a Guest. Tap "Sign out" to end your session.
- Facebook/Twitter account: Tap "Login" to sign in.
- Sound effects: Turn TiVo App sound effects on or off.
- Channel filter: Choose which channels to display.
- Version: Displays the TiVo App version number.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to tivo.com's support site.
- Reset application: Removes all account information and settings. After resetting, you will need to sign in to the app again.
Note: iPad is a trademark of Apple, Inc. registered in the US and other countries.