E-mail :: Print
Note: Effective June 26, 2012 For new Internet Customers and customers switching to our New Package Pricing, we will no longer allow customer-owned modems on our network. In order to provide our customers powerful and reliable Internet service at a great value, we will provide modems included in Internet pricing under our New Package Pricing.
To Activate a New Modem or swap out an existing modem for your Charter Internet Service follow the steps below.
Ensure you have all of the needed equipment:
- Cable Modem
- Coaxial Cable
- Ethernet or USB Cord
- Power Cord
Connect your Modem
- Screw the Coaxial Cable into the outlet, be it a splitter* or wall jack
- * Charter recommends connecting your modem directly to a wall outlet and not using a splitter. If you must use a splitter please make sure it is rated at 3.5 dBmv.
- Screw the other end of the Coaxial Cable into the back of the Modem
- Connect the Ethernet or USB Cord into the back of the Modem (Use only one, Ethernet is preferred)
- Connect the opposite end of the Ethernet or USB Cord into the Computer
- Plug the Power Cord into the Modem and the other end into the nearest Electrical Outlet
- Open your Web Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
- It should automatically open a Charter page to "Identify Your Account," if not surf to http://install.charter.com
- Make sure Installing New Service is selected or if you are swapping out a modem choose "Replacing your modem".
- Enter your Telephone or Account Number and Zip Code
- Follow the easy steps for Internet Self-Installation
- Test your connection by surfing to www.charter.net
If you need additional assistance please contact us.