E-mail :: Print
Effective September 6, Charter will no longer sell TiVo Premiere from Charter service to customers. We are currently evaluating the integration of TiVo software and other software into our next-generation video delivery platform. Customers that own Retail TiVo equipment are not impacted with this change. Click here for information about Charter TV packages.
Now you can do just about everything you can do with your TiVo remote control—find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more — from your Android phone! Just download the TiVo App to your Android phone, and you're ready to get started.
Before you begin
- Download the TiVo App from the Android Market. It's free!
- The App requires a compatible Android phone running OS 2.1 or later. The TiVo App for Android phone also works with Kindle Fire and other 7-inch Android tablets.
- If you have a compatible TiVo DVR, make sure it's connected to your home network.
- Make sure your Android phone has Wi-Fi turned on, and that it is connected to the same network as your TiVo box. (On your Android phone, tap Settings, then Wireless & network. Make sure the checkbox next to "Wi-Fi" is selected. Choose your network from the available networks listed.)
- On your TiVo DVR, allow the Android phone to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting.
- From TiVo Central, select Settings & Messages > Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control.
If you don't have a compatible TiVo DVR, no problem! You can sign in to the TiVo App as a "Guest."
Activating your TiVo App
There are three ways to sign in and activate your TiVo app:
- Using your Media Access Key (MAK): When you are at home with your TiVo Premiere DVR and want to use all of the features of the TiVo app, you’ll sign in using a special number that identifies your TiVo box, called a Media Access Key (MAK).
- Use your TiVo.com user name and password: When you are away from home but want remote access to your TiVo box, you will sign in with your TiVo.com username and password.
- Sign in as a Guest: If you don’t have a compatible TiVo DVR, you can take the TiVo App for Android phones for a test drive anyway! Just sign in as a guest.
Signing in with your Media Access Key
When you first launch the TiVo app, the app will search your network for TiVo DVRs. Once it finds your TiVo DVR, sign in as follows:
- If you have more than one TiVo DVR in your network, select the TiVo DVR you want to connect to from the list. You can always choose a different box later from inside the app.
- To find your MAK on your TiVo DVR, go to Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key.
On your Android phone, tap the Media Access Key window to bring up the keyboard, enter your MAK and then tap "OK".
Signing in with your user name and password
You can sign in with your TiVo.com user name and password when you're away from home or if you are unable to sign in with your Media Access Key (MAK). Here's how:
- Tap "Sign in to TiVo.com."
- Tap the "Email" window to bring up the keyboard and enter your TiVo.com user name. Then, tap the "Password" window and enter your password. Tap "Sign in."
Signing in as a guest
You can use the TiVo app even if you don't own a compatible TiVo DVR. To sign in as a guest:
- Tap "Continue as a Guest."
- Tap the Zip Code window to bring up the keyboard and enter your zip code. Then tap "Enter"
- Tap Charter Communications.
Finding and exploring shows
You can find and explore shows with a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- Tap the Search icon at the top of the screen and enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in.
- To browse the program guide, tap the TiVo icon and then tap "Guide." Scroll the guide up or down to view more listings. (You can also search for particular channels by tapping the Channel Search icon at the top of the Channel column.)
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it. From there, you can choose to watch it on your TV (if it’s currently airing), record it (if it’s airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter.
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date to bring up the date selector.
- Tap the TiVo icon and then tap "Browse" to browse collections of related content (like award winners) or to browse by category (like TV, movies or sports).
- Tap the TiVo icon and then tap "Info" to display information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo DVR. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching. From this screen, you can learn more about the show, its cast and its crew; record the show; view upcoming episodes; or share your comments about the show with friends on Facebook or Twitter.
Note: The Info option is available only if you sign in to the TiVo app with your MAK.
Using the My Shows list
You can see your TiVo DVR's My Shows list on the TiVo App.
- Click the TiVo icon and then tap "My Shows".
- Tap a show to view information about it.
- You can watch the show on your TV by tapping "Watch Now," explore the show, get or modify a Season Pass recording, delete the show from the My Shows list, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter.
Note: You can sort the list by date or by show title. Just press the Menu button on your phone, then tap "Sort by date" or tap "Sort by Name".
Note: You can access your my Shows list only if you sign in to the TiVo app with your MAK.
Using the remote control
You can use the TiVo App for Android phone’s remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, or to navigate around your TiVo DVR's menus. Here's how:
- Tap the pause icon on the top right of the screen.
- Tap the Gestures icon to show the gesture pad areas. In these areas, you can use touch-screen gestures, similar to the gestures used on other smartphones and mobile devices, to control your video. Tap the "I" to display the gestures.
- Tap the Remote Control icon to show the remote control buttons for navigating around TiVo menus and controlling playback. You can fast-forward, rewind, pause, slow motion, advance, instant replay, record, or give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down ratings. Just scroll to different parts of the remote on the screen. At any time, tap the keyboard icon at the top of the screen to bring up a keyboard.
Note: The remote control is not available in "Remote" or "Guest" modes.
Managing your shows
You can use the TiVo app to manage your TiVo DVR's To Do List and your Season Pass Requests.
- Tap the TiVo icon and then tap "To Do List." Tap a show title to get information about it. From there, you can cancel the recording, get or modify a Season Pass request, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, and more.
- Tap the TiVo icon and then tap "Season Pass Manager."
- To change the priority of Season Pass requests, press the menu button on your phone, tap "Edit," then tap "Prioritize." Drag and drop your shows into the order you'd like. To get more information about a show, tap its title.
Note: You can manage your shows only if you sign in to the TiVo app with your MAK.
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
As you explore shows in the TiVo App, you can easily publish your comments about them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Choose a show from your My Shows list, the guide or any browsing screen.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap "Share" and then tap either "Share on Facebook" or "Share on Twitter."
- If prompted, log in to your Facebook or Twitter account.
- Enter your post or tweet, and tap "Publish."
Changing your selected DVR
To connect to a different compatible TiVo DVR in your network, tap the TiVo icon and then tap "Selected DVR." Use the scroll wheel to select another DVR.
Changing settings & signing out
To change settings or manage your Facebook or Twitter accounts, tap the TiVo icon, then tap "Settings." You'll see the following options:
- TiVo account: Displays how you are signed into the TiVo App.. Tap "Sign out" to end your session.
- Facebook/Twitter account: Tap "Login" to sign in.
- Sound effects: Turn TiVo App sound effects on or off.
- Channel filter: Choose which channels to display.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to the tivo.com support site.
- Reset application: Removes all account information and settings. After resetting, you will need to sign in to the app again.