E-mail :: Print
Follow the Steps below to connect your HP Wireless Printer to your Charter WiFi
HP Auto Wireless Connect
HP Auto Wireless Connect is a technology that allows you to connect your printer to your wireless network automatically without having to connect any cables or enter your wireless network settings such as your network name or password. Many newer HP printers will have this capability during the standard software installation process. Not all computers or network configurations are compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect. In these cases, an alternate wireless setup method will be offered.
To be compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect, the following conditions must be met:
- Your computer uses Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.5.x, or Mac OS X 10.6.x
- Your computer uses a wireless connection to your network and the operating system is in control of the wireless adapter
- Your computer is connected to your 802.11b/g/n wireless router over a 2.4 GHz connection
- Note: HP Printers are currently not compatible with 802.11n 5.0 GHz networks
- Your computer DOES NOT use a static IP address
- Your printer is in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode. The printer will be in this mode for one hour after it is first powered on during installation before it is connected to a network.
- Tip: If your printer has been powered on for more than one hour and the software has not yet tried to connect the printer to your wireless network, you can reset this mode by using the Restore Network Defaults option from the printer control panel. Refer to your printer documentation for how to perform Restore Network Defaults
- Other environmental and technical factors may also affect whether HP Auto Wireless Connect is offered.
If HP Auto Wireless Connect is offered during the installation of your printer, it is the recommended setup method. Part of the setup process requires your computer to be temporarily disconnected from your wireless network. During this time you will not have Internet access. Be sure to save any online work and/or downloads before continuing with this setup method.
To use this option, install the software for your printer and follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, select the Network (Ethernet/Wireless) connection type and then choose Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (recommended). That's it! The HP software will do the rest.
If HP Auto Wireless Connect is not offered during the software installation or, if it is not successful, you will be guided to use another wireless setup method.
The Wireless Setup Wizard
You will run the The Wireless Setup Wizard from the printer's control panel.
- On the printer's control panel, press the Setup button and then select the Network menu.
- The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area.
- Note: The Setup button may appear as a wrench icon. There are differences between product models.
- Select your wireless network's name from the list
- Note: If you don't see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters
- Enter your WiFi password
- Note: You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong
USB setup of wireless
Some HP wireless printers can use this wireless setup method during the printer software installation.
During this process you'll temporarily connect a USB cable between the computer and the printer.
It's important that you connect and disconnect the cable only when prompted by the software, which will guide you through connecting and configuring your printer's wireless connection.
In some cases the software may automatically find your wireless settings for you.