What is a MoneyPak®
“A MoneyPak® is an easy and convenient way to send money to where you need it.” (Green Dot)
Green Dot MoneyPak® is a legitimate prepaid money card you can buy to make purchases or payments anywhere in the world without having a bank account. While this may be necessary for some transactions and convenient for others, criminals have found ways to exploit this fast and easy transferring of funds.
Scammers normally pose as a legitimate business (or agency) and try to offer limited time offers, discounts, or promise cheap upgrades to the consumer’s already existing services. The victims of these attacks are directed to purchase a MoneyPak® as a way to pay, in order to receive these “great” deals.
Reduce your Risk
To minimize the chances of being their next victim, follow the below steps suggested by Green Dot:
- 1. Never give your MoneyPak® number to someone you don’t know.
- 2. Never give receipt information about your MoneyPak® purchase to another party.
- 3. Use your MoneyPak® only to reload your prepaid cards or accounts you control.
- 4. Refuse any offer that asks you to buy a MoneyPak® and share the number or receipt information by email or phone.
- 5. To use your MoneyPak® with PayPal or eBay or other online merchants, transfer the money to your PayPal account before you pay the merchant. Don’t email your MoneyPak® number directly to any merchant.
- 6. Don’t use the MoneyPak® to pay taxes or fees to claim “winnings” on a foreign lottery or prize promotion. Unless it’s an approved MoneyPak® partner, don’t use MoneyPak® for any offer that requires you to pay before you get the item.
- 7. Check this list of approved MoneyPak® partners before you use your MoneyPak® to pay.
How to Report
If you suspect that someone is trying to scam you via phone call, email, text, or other using a MoneyPak®, contact your local police department and inform the business (or agency) of whom they were trying to impersonate. Furthermore, you may visit https://www.moneypak.com/Home.aspx for more information on Green Dot MoneyPaks®, reporting fraudulent activity, and how to protect yourself from these scams.
Green Dot - MoneyPak®. (n.d.). Retrieved November 20, 2013, from https://www.moneypak.com/Home.aspx
All marks belong to their respective owners. Some of the links in this article are to Internet sites maintained by third parties, no inference or assumption should be made and no representation may be implied that either Charter or its affiliated entities operates or controls in any way any information, products or services on these third party sites.